The Not-So Austen Bookclub's currently-reading ...
The Not-So Austen Bookclub 1065 members
<b>Share your obsession. Spread the magic.</b> Read books, discuss books and love books! The N...

Books we're currently reading

Rebel Spring Rebel Spring
by Morgan Rhodes
Start date: January 5, 2014



View this group on Goodreads »

Thursday 16 January 2014

Making Faces by Amy Harmon

18301124Rating: 5 Stars!!!

This book is definitely worth it's wonderful ratings! :) :D

I highly recommend this to everyone!!!

A story told in third person, about life taken for granted and the repercussions it holds.

... But are the repercussions really that bad, if they bring you face to face with something better. 

This is the story of a boy named Ambrose Young who heads off to War in Iraq ... only to come back physically scarred. His disfigurement brings him much sorrow for himself, a constant reminder of what he took for granted and what that did to him. 

However, this is not just a story about Ambrose Young. It is so much more. This story is written in third person. I don't read many books written in this manner. Majority of the books I consume are first person. I never realised how much more detail and information could be shown to you through third person.

I honestly felt like I was an invisible camera man and this book was my documentary. That's what the narration style did to me. I was in the world, but not completely part of it ... and it was amazing! =) =D 

The third person narration style not only gave me insight into Ambrose's life but it gave me insight into several other wonderful characters such as Fern Taylor, Bailey Sheen, Rita and many more. Most of all, it gave me insight into the development of a simple town and how it progressed throughout the years as this book does have a large timespan throughout.

The town is defined by the characters. Their thoughts & actions changed so much about the town. 

This is the story of learning about life, dealing with your own grief and sorrows, understanding oneself and others and most of all, learning to look past it all and see the light. 

Because nothing is as it seems on the surface. The surface is just the tip of the iceberg








No comments:

Post a Comment