The Not-So Austen Bookclub's currently-reading ...
The Not-So Austen Bookclub 1065 members
<b>Share your obsession. Spread the magic.</b> Read books, discuss books and love books! The N...

Books we're currently reading

Rebel Spring Rebel Spring
by Morgan Rhodes
Start date: January 5, 2014



View this group on Goodreads »

Saturday 18 January 2014

Just One day by Gayle Foreman ~ A Sentimental Read

16150043Rating: 5 Stars

Recommend to everyone, especially Contemporary lovers! =)

A story about how the smallest things can impact someone immensely

This book was a journey. A journey of self-discovery. Reading this you're literally in Allyson's mind. You're in her mindset- thinking the way that she does, it feelsthat real. 

First of all, the pacing of this novel was perfect. The first half is one whirlwind of a day- Just One Day in Paris and the second half is how the main character copes with that one day and how it affected her. 

The description of all the different locations- I felt was spot-on. I've never been to these places but the descriptions were so vivid. It was beautiful learning about different cultures and experiencing different places. 

Basically, this story centres around a girl named Allyson who makes the biggest, impulsive decision ever and decides to spend just one day- her last day in Europe in Paris with (I guess you could say) a complete strange. It's about Allyson shedding her good girl image and finally being someone different, someone that she likes. 

However, the day doesn't end great and then we find her coping with this day an entire year later. We see her learning from past experiences, changing her ways, being who she wants to be and not what she's being pressured to be. 

I really loved the main character. I loved how everyone supported her and the atmosphere that it brought on to the story. I loved the decisions she would make and her character development. I literally felt like a mother reading about her experiences because I was just so touched and so proud of what she was doing. And I think it's great to have that strong of a connection to the lead character. 

Some problems (because there always is)- They're more like nuisances rather than problems. Things that ticked me off but probably didn't tick you off.

- Willem: I really didn't like him which was strange because usually I adore male leads. I just didn't see much of his character or back story. Maybe if I did I might sympathise with him and like him a bit more. 

- The end: I want to know what happens next. I need some closure. Even just a conversation and I would be fine. I just need something


Overall, a beautiful book which really broadened my horizons and changed the way I look at things. It was a very sentimental read ... and I liked it. I definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment